|Highlights of Weeks of Welcome
||[Sep. 3rd, 2009|10:16 am]
- Went to a Columbia-run concert where there was free vitamin water and free condoms from Common Ground a.k.a. the Bridges of Columbia College.|
- Found an INCREDIBLE chocolate shop a few blocks from my apartment. The designs are amazing and the taste is even better.
- Met some incredible friends who I already know I'll be hanging out with most of this year.
- Went to Connections (a seminar for the music department) where random students went up on stage and were given some music, chords, etc. and played a song while everyone else sang along to a melody we were taught.
- Got my meal card at the University Center. The cafeteria and UC are INCREDIBLE. So V.I.P. The suites there are literally Real World penthouses.
- Went to the Columbia Store where I bought some apparel and found where I could pick up my textbooks that I ordered online. $600. Damn you, music classes. My Theory book alone is $188.
- My friend Emily and I found a sheet music store (also only a few blocks away) run by one of the Piano professors at Columbia. I bought Coldplay's Parachutes, "Love Song," and "You Belong With Me." We also talked to Bette Coulson (the owner/professor) who remembered me from auditions and will also be Emily's private piano instructor.
- Went to a multicultural picnic where there was free food. From there, we saw Delirious Darius an illustration major who teaches himself songs on the piano. We then went to the Hilton hotel and he played piano fro 30 min in the lobby, while his friend Watermelon stood dancing, singing, and holding a hat out for $$.
- Then I came home to Laura's potluck and I was so tired I just locked myself in my room and skyped with Molly and my parents.
Incredible day. I love my school so much. The area I live is so great and there are always things to do. When Kyle comes and visits, Regina Spektor will be in town so I'm gonna try and get us tickets. Also, today will be my first Chicago bus ride. AHHH!! I love life.